Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm Often Asked

I'm often asked why I back away from the mic on the last line of my poem,
and I usually say…
it's just simple because I fear if I step too close they'll charge me for a new mic cause I shatter them,
or I'll say
it's because the rhymes that cascade from me cause lyrical disasters and massacres cause it seems like the world's been waiting for me so long they'll get to hear me…
or die trying
and I know my answers sound cocky so don't take this the wrong way
but I believe I'm the one they sent to set the sun on these so called poets and start a new day,
a new era
of spoken word artist
and define poet in a new way
so listen
cause I'm about to rain down truth on you today
but are you ready?
cause once you take this blue pill there is no way for you to climb out my rabbit hole,
so sit back,
relax,
kick up yo feet and let my story unfold,
cause as I stand on this stage you see me
but you don't really see me
cause I don't know you and
you don't know me
so let me be the first to introduce myself to you,
I am from the womb of a dope feign that that got her life together and has been 13 years clean,
and I thank her
cause weather she's knows this or not I see her in me,
but sometimes this,
well this confuses me
cause I don't know weather or not this will drive me to make the same mistakes as she
or correct them
but she means the world to me
and I'm proud of her
cause she raised 5 of her 6 children with the exception of me who she couragesly gave to my father…
and his mother…
who claims to love me but how can she if she hates where I come from
and my daddy…
well he's a different poem
See my momma,
she made me stronger,
she helped shape me into this woman that stands before you today,
she gave me this swagger,
this rhythm that flows from me when I talk,
and this beat that these hips make when I walk,
she made me beautiful
cause it is in her shadow that I grow
and I know she's wondering how she helped me if she has never really been around me
but I see her constantly,
in my sisters,
in my brother,
and in me…
so to answer the question why I back away from the mic on the last line of my poem truthfully it's just simple because I step back …
to let her shine through.

No comments: